Re: Dead 164

On Thu, 17 Dec 1998, Jeff Hanbury wrote:

> Hi everyone...
>
> Help!
>
> Our 164 continually has problems with it's battery going flat. We
> have had the alternator checked etc
>
> The auto-electrician claims it is not unusual for this kind of car
> (mentioned Porsche 928) and that we just have to drive it every day.
> If we skip a day it will not start. Does anyone else experience
> this???

Not true--you have a load using current somewhere--y '91 164L sometimes
sits for over a week without any problem ( unless I leave an interior
light on!)

> Also, we are obviously needing to recharge the battery a lot. Is it
> really necessary to disconnect the earth from the battery to the car
> while recharging or can we leave it all connected?

If you are using a self regulated trickle charger, no need--but a "fast"
charger that uses higer voltage to cram the joules in in a hurry might
hurt something. I have never disconnected a battery that needed overnight
charging, and have never had a problem.

> Any comments appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Jeff