Can't get SPICA pump to lean out

I have tried to follow the instructions for setting up my SPICA pump on my 79
AR Alfetta SV, all to no avail.  Here are the details:

Stock 2L motor with Euro 2L Alfetta (about 1982 vintage) cams with 10.3mm
lift.  Pump is a 1974 taken from my old 74 GTV.  Euro Bosch distributer with
Pertronix Ignitor system.  I replaced the TA with one of the rebuilt ones from
Performance Instrumentation, but it was a couple of years ago.

I cannot seem to get it to lean out properly. When starting up cold (or as
cold as it gets here in So. Texas) it does not want to idle.  Once it has run
for awhile it will idle slowly and gradually will idle normally (800-1000
rpm).  When it does start up it leaves a black ring on the pavement.
Accelerating leaves a mist of blackish exhaust.  I have always been told that
black is gas, blue is oil, and white is water. Can one of the SPICA wizards
give me some advice?

Jerry in Houston