AROC and the digest

I'm not an AROC member but that's mostly because of the fact that there
isn't a local chapter that's close and we have ARA here in the SF bay area.
The fact is I've been feeling kind of guilty for not forking over the $45/yr
dues for AROC membership but I'm not willing to give up ARA so it would end
up totaling $70/yr and I'm struggling to get my Spider back together here
for Christ sakes!

Anyway, because of my job and the rotating days off, I'm usually working
every weekend that ARA has an event scheduled and so don't get to
participate much. The monthly magazine isn't always the most exciting piece
of reading material on the coffee table but it is the only Alfa-centric
publication I'm likely to see that month and it is, after all, put together
by volunteers who donate their precious time and effort to see that it gets
done. Others contribute by organizing and running events and such.

So with out rambling on too much I'll get to my point. We're damn lucky to
have any clubs at all.We shouldn't be complaining about the dues since they
really are a pittance and as far as the service or content that the club
delivers, well - that's really up to us as members because that's where it
all comes from.

The Alfa Digest is a wonderful thing but it's also chaotic - there's chat,
there's tech, there's philosophic pondering and it's all thrown into the
same pot. But you "meet" people, or at least virtually meet people, that you
may never have had a conversation with and this is where the real value of
the AD comes through. Our clubs need to wake up to this new media and
endorse an online digest that is financed through membership dues. It's not
like we have to reinvent the wheel here, I know this guy named Richard Welty
that can help us out.....

well okay, I "virtually" know this guy....

Paul Irvine  - Antioch CA
72 Spider - 79 Sprint Veloce - 82 GTV6
Project Alfa - http://www.crl.com/~pi/project
E-Mail - mailto:pi@domain.elided