91 164

Ben,

It sounds like a car that has had a very hard life.  I purchased my 91 "L"
in April for 9300 and it was in showroom condition with 35K on it.  It had
the steppers, timing belt,tensioner and 30K service  done just before I
picked it up (all invoices attached to bill of sale).  This is a bit over
the price of the "S" you are looking at but my experience (3rd Alfa) has
been that a good Alfa is a good Alfa and a bad Alfa will likely remain that
way.  It will break your heart and empty your wallet.  Look around and
consider a short trip outside your area for the right car.  Airfare to just
about any where is cheap and the drive home is great.  I only had to take a
4 hour train ride for mine (much faster going home) and it has been a great
car. Once you get up to the $7500 range you should go a bit more for a good
car.  Just my opinion.

Glenn Emerson
New York
91 164L