Re: alfa-digest V7 #318 Mark's newfound POWER and Rich's converter advice...

Peter wrote:

>Any Alfa in proper
>running condition, especially the Bosch injected cars, should meet
>emissions requirements (CO and HC for us non BAR-90 crowd) without a
>converter. Even SPICA cars are designed to operate at 1.2% CO and a
>maximum of 300 PPM HC as old as 1972! The converter is for the reduction
>of NOx and other byproducts...

Yes, I should have checked his numbers more carefully.  It's good to know
that the SPICA system, if properly set-up can meter nearly as accutately as
newer systems.

One point, however:  Corning, a maker of catalyst honeycombs, specifies
that it's catalysts are designed strictly for the conversion of CO, and are
not designed to convert nitrogen or sulfur compounds.  A great deal of the
NOx and SOx compounds are passed.

Rich
Manitou Springs, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco