alfa we6 redline

k, you said:
>I haven't had too much experience with V6 Alfa engines but I just picked up a
>2.5 Milano in great shape and did a complete tune-up including a valve adjust
>and the engine still doesn't feel too comfortable above 5000 rpm.  I just
>don't feel like the engine has anything to give above that range, even though
>max horsepower comes at 5800.  The engine feels great at revs below that
>though.  Also, achieving top speed in this car doesn't seem to be an easy
>thing.  I've been driving BMWs my whole life so I'm used to the way
>performance engines run but the Milano takes forever to get above 100 mph,
>even in fourth gear.  Is this just the way these engines are or is something
>wrong with mine, even though there is nothing to indicate that there is
>anything wrong.
======================
i'd make sure you have a gnu timing belt before revving it, but it does sound
like something's not rite.  you should be able to peg the rev-limiter no
problem, & 100mph should come up way before forever.  my guess is the p.o. dint
rev it often, try a bottle of techroline before your next fill-up, and give it a
good italian tune-up!  taking it to redline every so often really does keep
these things running well, and they should make nice noises and feel wery
comfortable at over 5k rpm.  or, perhaps, you need a gnu fuel filter.  i'm sure
you're gonna get flooded w/comments - i'd take any milano over any like-vintage
bmw, mebbe w/the possible exception of an m-series one.  and mostly cuz i think
the engines are much nicer.

ciao for now,

doug s.

'78 ducati darmah
'86 alfa gtwe6, shankle-ized 3.0 bastard
'88 alfa milano werde
'92 alfa 164L
'95 buell s2 w/white-lightning top-end