164 VIN Tag Placement

Hello List,

I'm curious about a special "feature" of my '91 164L that I discovered =
during a service visit a while back. Since 1970-something all cars =
delivered in the US have had a VIN (vehicle identification number) tag =
which is visible through the windshield. These are typically found on =
the left hand (driver's) side at the base of the windshield. On my 164, =
the VIN tag is on the *right* side of the windshield and the windshield =
has a matching "window" in the masking which allows the tag to be =
visible. The service manager at West Suburban Imports was surprised to =
see this and stated that he had never seen another 164 with the VIN tag =
on the right side.=20

I'm guessing that my chassis or windshield, at least, were initially =
destined for some other market before becoming part of a US-Spec car. Is =
this a good guess? Do other countries (the U.K., perhaps) have VIN tags =
on the right hand side?

My reason for asking is the impending replacement of my windshield, =
which I'm sure will have the window for the VIN tag on the left hand =
side and leave my tag obscured beneath the horizontal lines of the =
window masking.

Bob Abhalter
Grand Rapids, Michigan
'91 164L