Alfas in the News

Dear Alfisti,

A US publication, European Car, in their Jan. '99 issue
contained an article, "Noted designers look back 30 years at the
cars they most admired."

Below are some Alfa-related excerpts.

Rich

   Jason Hill
   Senior Automotive Designer, Samsung

  " The Alfa Romeo GT Veloce Giulia is the one that really jumps
   out. It has the subtlety and the modern style of the '60s. It
   has the passion, the dynamic styling and that strong face
   that says "I'm an Alfa." It doesn't have the exuberance or
   excess of the '90s or the economic boxiness caused by the
   downturn of the economy in the '70s. It's a sporty car, but
   it's not an exotic. It's for the mainstream, and it represents
   everything there is about good design: proportion, stance and
   the proper detailing. It is the right design of that time but
   without being expensive or exclusive. It's a design that
   touches everyone--just like the New Beetle.

   When you think of the '60s, you think of crisp shirts and
   mini skirts; the car exemplifies the stylish Italian '60s
   feel. Today everyone is striving to get a brand, and this car
   had a brand without even trying. The Giulia had and still has
   strong appeal."

   Tom Matano
   Executive Designer, Mazda

   "On the European car scene, I can think of a number of cars
   which were not necessarily introduced in 1969 but were
   considered state-of-the-art design during that time period
   and were influential to American and Japanese car designers
   in later years. The Alfa Romeo GTV had a well-proportioned
   body, beautiful surface execution and memorable rear end, as
   well as a good balance between its mechanicals and its
   design--it was a complete design. In fact, I liked this car
   so much I bought one for the studio as an example of great
   design. The Alfa Romeo Junior Z was an innovative design in
   many details. It was really advanced and a very modern design
   at the time. The Alfa Romeo Tipo 33 is a true classic."