'80 Spider rebuild

I'm in the midst of a rebuild on an '80 Spider. First I want to thank Ben=

Higgins a-d #295 for his timely article on pulling the engine and
transmission on 105 & 115 cars.

A couple of urgent questions: Is there anything special to do when
reinstalling the variable inlet cam other than the usual line up the cam
timing marks? There was also a mark on the forward side of the inlet cam.=

Any significance?

Is there a better oil barrier for the shift lever where it meets the stub=

rather than just the two cupped washers and the three rubber boots?

I'm not sure if this is a California only arrangement, but the exhaust
system is a real hodge-podge - air-pump, horrible manifold, all sorts of
tubes and brackets, and of course a catalytic converter. The car is going=

to Florida and I understand they are much more lenient there - can anyone=

verify this? If permission is granted, I'd like to go the Euro exhaust
system. The only downside might be the pre-heated air into the inlet plen=
um
chamber. I'm assuming this wouldn't be a problem in Florida. Again, any
input would be appreciated.

Biba
Irwindale CA