RE: Alloy wheels

G'day Steve (and digest),

So far as alloy wheels are concerned, the most common method of crack
testing is the dye penetrant method. This is typically used in the =
aircraft
industry. Probably 99% of fatigue cracks start at the surface or at =
least
propagate to the closest surface before they start heading elsewhere. =
What
the dye penetrant method relies on is for a dye that's sprayed onto the
surface to be absorbed into the crack. When the dye on the surface gets
washed off, you can then use a number of methods (developer, =
ultraviolet
light - depending on the dye to show where the cracks are ie. the dye
remaining down the crack is drawn out onto the surface. You can =
probably
find these testing services in your yellow pages.

Having said all of that it could cost you a bit of money for all of =
your
wheels to have it done professionally. There is an alternative and that =
is
to do it your self with one of the dye penetrant test kits that you can =
get.
In Australia here the most common one is put out by Castrol and =
consists of
3 spray cans: a cleaner, dye and developer. Just make sure that you =
follow
the instructions carefully and you will end up with a professional job. =
If
cracks are present they will nearly always be hanging around a change =
in
cross section, sharp radius etc, so start looking in those areas first. =
If
you have something that you know is cracked it might be worthwhile
practising on that first to get your technique right. I have no =
problems
getting my hands on cracked components, I run a modified Austin Healey
Sprite (ie its British) and I have a large box full of cracked =
components -
especially stub axles!

Good luck

Warren Reid