Re: How do I install a split master on a 750 Alfa Spider?

Hi Don,

I've been asked this question many times at Alfa Stop & I've yet to hear
of a suitable & proven substitution.

Late RHD 105 series cars used a dual underfloor cylinder made by Bonaldi
& different from the ATE cylinder used on 1750 Mk1 US spec cars.
However, this cylinder is no longer available & it has a bad reputation.
I don't know if it would fit but it's unlikely as it too is quite long,
like the US spec ATE cylinder. Also, the pipes on this cylinder exit
from the left side next to the manifold so I would expect fluid heating
problems too. Many UK owners of 105 series cars fitted with this
cylinder are now converting back to single circuit so that must say
something too!

The last report heard from Holland was that the national historic race
organising body has insisted on split (dual) circuit systems & all the
Giulietta racers said "can't be done", & they were allowed to continue
to race with single circuit master cylinders.

The main problems in finding a substitute part are (1) the limited space
available on a 750/101 chassis, & (2) the type of mounting of the master
cylinder - most modern cylinders use a flanged fitting onto a bulkhead
or servo body.

Here's hoping that someone out there has done it & is will to tell us
how.............

BW

Tony Stevens

Alfa Stop

In message , CLCSF@domain.elided writes
>My 56 Alfa spider race car is presently set up with the stock 1" master
>cylinder, Guilia front discs and stock rear drums limited by a bias valve. It
>is a great setup, except for the lack of a split system for safety purposes.
>I tried the 69 Duetto master, but it is not big enough and gives too much
>pedal throw for effective heel toe operation.
>Is there any easy solution ?
>Don Queen SF

- --
Tony Stevens    http://www.alfastop.co.uk
ALFA STOP, POBox 50, Belper DE56 1AS, UK
Tel: +44 (0)177 382 2000
Fax: +44 (0)177 382 1900