re: Wheels & Embrittlement

In AD v7n300, Jonathan wrote:

> I know of a source for 16x7.5 Borbet Mesh rims in Silver with a 30mm offset
>for 164 cars. The price I am told is 450.00 for the set and are available in
>30 days.

Wow! I got a set of 4 Ford factory 16x7.5 steel wheels in grey (painted, not
chromed) for my '71 3/4 ton(ne) pick-up truck at a wrecking yard (sorry, auto
recycler) for $35 ea. I took them home the same day I bought them. There's a
bunch more where these came from.

I don't know if the 8-bolt pattern will exactly fit a 164, but I figure with
the cash you save you can get a nice set of chromed adaptors made. :-)

Serious Alfa content - I recently had my '63 Spider wheels blasted bare and
powder coated. What have I done to them with regards to embrittlement? I
understand the coating procedure includes baking on the powder, but I don't
remember how long or at what temperature. I plan to run the car only on the
street (spirited driving, of course), no track time. I'll probably use the
best available 155x15 "original" street tires/tyres (Michelin/Pirelli). Any
thoughts on powder coating? Oh, yes, one more thing - the wheels are likely to
sit in my store room for a year before I get the rest of the car finished.

Tom
'63 Spider (at today's re-assembly rate, I may just hang the wheels on the
wall as art, sans tires/tyres)
Seattle