Mechanical v6 tensioner

- --
> Did the European model 164's get the tensioner recall?
> I have a 1989 164 RHD and am looking at either re-kitting the hydraulic
> tensioner of replacing it with a mechanical one.
> My local Alfa dealer didn't even know there was a mechanical tensioner
> available and the main parts people here didn't know of its existence
> either.
>
> It would cost the same to re-kit the Hydraulic one as it would to import a
> new mechanical one from the US!
>
> Has anyone replaced a tensioner on a 1989 164? Is the mechanical one even
> an
> option? Is it any good? What was wrong with the hydraulic one anyway? (mine
> is just starting to weep)

Matthew,
	The mech. tensioner is a US spec part, made in Canada for Alfa. It is a
relatively permanent solution for the higher maintenance oil fed
tensioner.
	ARDONA (importer owned by ALFA/FIAT) recommended the conversion to the
mechanical tensioner at T-belt changeover to eliminate the oil leakage
troubles.
	While not perfect, (there have been a VERY FEW failures) it is cleaner,
and reliable. I have 50K on mine with no problems whatsoever.I will
admit that I flog my all the time to 5k+ and it is fine.
	It is also nice to see a 3 liter with close to 90K on it without oil
leaks.
	Installation should be simple enough on any Alfa V-6, as we convert our
Milanos (75) to them with no difference in procedure.
	If you can't get it there, I can get them through my local dealer for
around $60 USD. All you can eat :o)

Bill Harkell--Tampa Florida
Homepage/"One Lap" drafts:http://pw2.netcom.com/~alfabill/welcome.htm