Re: Chrome

In talking to a few wire wheel restorers, the consensus I got was that
for competition use, they recommend painted steel spokes.  For show use,
they have various other options, including chromed steel spokes, and
full stainless.  Among the Ferrari crowd, the painted wheels are
supposed to be more authentic for a competition car.

Getting back to the original question, I would not chrome plate original
stamped steel wheels.  For one thing, it looks gaudy, but that's just
IMO.  For another, if you do damage the plating, it can be worse than
paint.  If rust gets under the chrome, it can lift off in big chunks.
Chrome is also VERY hard on the hands if it starts to peel (AMHIK).  If
you have the steel wheels painted, at least then you have the option of
applying some touch-up paint if they get nicked. Chrome may be harder at
first, but when it goes away, it's far worse to deal with than paint.

Remember also that chrome plating is a wet process.  The surface must be
absolutely clean, it must be etched, and there are several layers of
different materials that get plated on. The chromium is the last step.