Re: 164LS cooling fan

Most likely, you have the sam problem as I found in my 94 164LS.
Connectors to old style low speed fan resistor corroded causing
excessive heat that melted wires or burned resistor or both.

Quick and good solution is just soldered wires that goes to resistor
connectors together.   This effectively makes low speed fan a high
speed fan too.   A little draw back is fan does not stay on for long and
kicks in more often than low speed fan.  Because speed fan cooled
thermo switch area too fast but not the entire radiator,   then it quickly
being switched off only being switched on again when temp. rise quickly
again. Theoretically, this shorten electric motor life.

Also remember, the temp. reading is only the temp. around sensor,
it does not tell water temp. inside engine or inside radiator.

About 164 A/C and low speed fan:
With A/C on the low speed fan does not come on as most of other
cars do,  in service manual it stated, the low speed fan comes
on when pressure between high and low pressure side of A/C pipes
reach a certain level.  There is a pressure switch to control this.

Karl Chen