Re: Transmission Removal

At 01:21 PM 11/30/98 -0500, Ralph DeLauretis wrote:
ate: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 07:28:29 -0500
>From: Ralph DeLauretis <ralphone@domain.elided>
>Subject: Transmission Removal
>
>Next Weekend I am attempting to remove the Engine & transmission in one
>piece.  I need to know if the shift lever has to be disassembled in
>order for the engine-transmission to come out.

(I am assuming you are working on a 105 - 115 spider.  If instead
you have one of them new-fangled cars, then you're on your own!)

Yea, it has been my experience that not only must the shift lever
be removed from the "stub", via loosening the pinch bolt, but the
stub must also be removed from the box, in order for the box to
readily clear the sheetmetal beneath the firewall.

Remove the two pivots on either side of the gearbox, keeping
track of which shims fit on which side.  And for God's sake,
don't drip any shims or other stuff down into the gearbox!
I usually put a piece of plastic, secured with a rubber band,
over the hole where the shift mechanism had been, to try to
minimize crud from the car's underside dropping into the box.
Of course, the plastic always gets ripped off during the
removal process.

You will encounter interference with the drag link (that
rod between the steering and the idler arms).  I used to try
to pop out the tie rod ends (big job), then I changed my
strategy to unscrewing the drag link from the tie rod ends
(which messes up your alignment), but then I figured out
an easier technique still: Just pop the steering arm off
the shaft of the steering box.  That will let you lower the
drag link enough to clear the flywheel.  Then, you can
easily re-connect the steering arm, so that the car can be
manuevered around your garage with the engine out.

Hmm - maybe a still better technique would be to just unbolt
the idler from the frame - anyone tried this?

Oh, and don't forget the ground strap!

Jay Mackro

End of alfa-digest V7 #293