Re: Value of 74 GTV

<<  You didn't say where you are, but in the USA you should try to get a car
 like that for less than $1000.  If it runs, you could double the price.

 Dana Loomis
 72 GTV

  Mark Rawlings, considering buying a '74 GTV, wrote:
 >This particular car is
 >being sold by the original owner and has 94,000 miles and no rust, but
 >needs complete restoration: paint, upholstery, and who knows what
 >mechanically, since it hasn't moved in twelve years.  >>

A couple months ago in the National AROC magazine there was a "price" guide
for Alfas - that would be a good place to start.

I swear Houston/Galveston has to be the worst place in the country to sell an
Alfa, but the best place to pick one up dirt cheap.  Even in Houston a "truly"
RUST-FREE, no body damage, 74 GTV that is COMPLETE is worth $1,500-2,000
running or not.  The cost of fixing mechanicals and interior cosmetics is
small compared to body work that requires cutting out structural rust and
straightening crash damage - you could rebuild the entire driveline for the
cost of a front clip, hood and a pair of front fenders.

On the other hand, I have gotten better "deals" buying non-running Alfas than
running ones.  It has been my experience that any Alfa (105/115/116) - running
or not, a bargain price or market price will need $1,000 worth of mechanicals
to be a truly nice and dependable car.  Also, it has been my experience that
most RUST-FREE Alfas for sale are far from that - unless you can see what is
inside the rockers there is no guarantee - beware whenever you are paying a
premium for a RUST-FREE car!

If you can get a 74 GTV, straight, complete and rust-free for less than $1,000
- - consider it a good deal.

Ben Higgins
Galveston, Texas