grunty alternators

on the subject of more powerful alternators, have you thought of having your
existing alternator re-wound?  we had a 55 amp alternator for our datsun
rally car re-wound to prioduce about 70 amps.  the casing was also drilled
to provide better cooling.  We just took it to an alternator reconditioner
who did the job.  it has run in our rally car for a number of seasons,
powering the car, and driving about 600W of lighting on night stages...

just another alternative to be considered.

Ben