RE: Milano Front Wheel Bearings

Dear Alfisti,

There have been many postings as to how easy it is to change the front
wheel bearings on a Milano. I must say I found the job of changing the
front bearings on my '87 Milano Pt quite difficult. This is due mainly
to the difficulty of knocking out the outter race of the larger
bearing. There is only a very thin circle of the outter rim visible,
and almost any tool that can sit comfortably on the rim of =

the race is too fragile to apply enough force to dislodge it.

Apparently other cars use hubs that have a couple of notches to allow
using a fairly stout punch to remove the race. I did this job some
years ago and remember using a sacrificial drill bit to drill thru
the hub near the race rim to create my own notch large enough for
a small punch.

Other notes:
1) The Milano workshop manual lists the amount of grease to use in =

redoing the wheel bearings. (There is an article at the website: =

  www.catenary.com/victor/isaluti

that describes wheel bearing renewal that also lists the amount
of grease to use.)

2) DON'T just replace the inner races!

3) The front wheel bearings on the 105 series cars are larger =

and need less frequent changing than the Milano/GTV6/Alfetta.

4) Take some time and really work the grease into the bearing
before inserting the bearing into the hub. There are devices to
do this, or use a baggy. And use a good grease!

Good luck,

Rich