Milano Front Wheel Bearings

Joe wrote:

>i'm about to embark on a 1500 mile trip in a somewhat new-to-me '87 milano
>gold w/64k on the clock. perhaps not surprisingly, i'm a bit nervous -
>particularly about the state of the front wheel bearings...

If you have the time, the front wheel bearings on these cars are easy to
check or replace.  They are no different than those we are all familiar
with on older American cars.  As a cursory check, make sure that both
wheels exhibit no lateral play:  push hard, sideways, on each tire, near
its top.  If the bearings are loose, you'll feel a click.  Next, make sure
that the bearings aren't over tightened:  jack up each wheel and give it a
spin.  The wheel should spin freely, and coast to a stop after you let go.
Over tightened bearings are often noisy.

If you really want to eliminate any chance that the bearings are bad,
install a new set.  This requires removing the wheel, then the brake
caliper, removing the bearing cap, undoing the spindle nut and sliding off
the rotor.  You can pry the old seal out with a large screwdriver, drive
the old races out with a screwdriver and hammer, then drive the new races
in with a hammer and large socket.  This usually takes no more than an hour
per side.

If you don't have the time or inclination to approach either of these jobs,
you don't have to worry too much.  Any decent garage, even one with
absolutely no experience in Alfas, can replace the front bearings --
provided they can get the correct replacement parts.  So, if you're willing
to take the chance, you can always just start out on your trip and see what
happens.

Rich
Manitou Springs, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco