Re: 164 Windscreen wipers, alternator, information

The drivers side windscreen wiper on my 164 TS has developed an irritating
fault.  Every fourth or fifth sweep, it judders across the screen.  I have
replaced the blades (with several manufactures blades) and the arms on both
sides, the windscreen has been cleaned to clinical (or near) cleanliness, the
blades are at 90 degrees to the glass, and yet it continues to judder.  It is
not effected by driving speed, as it still judders when parked.

I have noticed that if I switch on heavy power appliances such as the rear
window de-mister, and the car slows stops (i.e. at traffic lights) the engine
will cut out.  The volt meter drops to just below 12v (its normally at about
14.5 v), normally the headlights would just dim.  Is this a battery (approx 1
year old) or alternator problem?

I am studying for a Maters degree and I want to research the effects of mass
industrialisation of the car manufactures, and its affects on the workers
(from 1900 - 1950).  Can anybody supply any information or point me to sources
of information?

Any information or help for the above would be gratefully appreciated.

Steve
164 TS
Cumbria UK