Catching up: Brake rebuild/replacement, whimping out, A4 .02, Duetto on PBS

Hello all,
    I had fallen very behind in my digest readings and just recently caught up. So much info, so little time.
Last time I posted I was about to take the plunge into my first brake caliper rebuild for the RR on my GTV-6. Due to time and
space shortages, I chose to get a rebuilt caliper instead.  I was very pleased at how simple the process was.  I sort of
scratched my head when I saw that you removed the rotor first, not realizing that there is no sort of shaft running through
it. Longest part was getting the clearances right and adjusting the handbrake.
    I had also mentioned that I was going to perform the castor arm ball joint upgrade from the 115.  After taking the rod out
and trying to see how this ball joint was going to mount, I got cold feet.  The mounting flange on the ball joint seems to be
too wide.  Much wider than the original bushing and one side of the ball joint fitting interferes as the metal curves away
from mounting hole.  Well, it's difficult to explain but it's too sketchy for me.  You can always take metal away but putting
it back.............. I've got some polyurethane bushings on order now.
    As I was catching up on the previous posts, I was interested to read about someone considering an Audi A4. I know this is
a dead thread but since my wife and I recently purchased a new 98 1.8T Quattro let me get my .02 in.  Great car!  If anyone
considers one make sure you get the Sport Package which includes stiffer springs, shocks, thicker bars, slightly lowered ride
height and lighter 16" wheels with Z rated Dunlop SP 8000Es.  Quattro is a must, turns a typical FWD car with typical FWD
handling into a very neutral and stable car.  Coming back from Asheville, where we bought the car, I was driving the GTV-6
with my wife following in the A4.  We were taking some brutal back roads that were giving my forearms a workout.  I would
blast down these sections of road and begin thinking " I better slow down for my wife to catch up" only to look into my mirror
and see four little rings staring back at me.  I'd blame it on the damn TRXs but the truth is the A4 inspires soooo much
confidence that driving it quickly is very easy.  It is a well balanced car (power/handling: much like an Italian car!) that
creates a very nice driving experience and seems to do everything well. My only complaints are that it does lack some steering
feel and the shifter has the typical VW/Audi rubberiness. Comparing Alfas (164, Milano) to the A4 is almost comparing apples
to oranges.  They are built under such differing design philosophies.  The A4 is an extremely capable car but  doesn't require
much from the driver when exploring its capabilities.  An Alfa (admittedly I've driven few) has just as much capability, but
the process of exploring those capabilities has so much more driver involvement.  The Audi is fun in like "My god the car went
through that corner so quickly and I didn't raise a sweat."  The Alfa is fun in like "My god, I went through that corner so
quickly and I worked for it!" For getting from point A to point B quickly and efficiently, we take the Audi.  For shear white
knuckle, forearm bulging, on the edge DRIVING, we take the Alfa.  But Quattro or not, if the 156 was here, we'd be driving
one. (So I gave $2.00.)
    I just got done watching "Nerds 2.0.1" on PBS about the birth of the internet and all that stuff my wife understands
(E-business project manager/programmer for IBM) and I noticed that the host, Robert X. Cringely, was driving a beautiful
Duetto at times, and mentioned the Alfa Romeo Association of California in the credits.  Nifty.

Have a good Thanksgiving!

Enzo

The "A" List:

Wife's -- 98 Audi A4 1.8T Q