Re: alfa-digest V7 #284

> Lancia Beta being the father of so much.  Well, not really.  Back in
> the late Sixties, Fiat and Citroen both had a serious merger plan in
> effect and were developing new cars together.  Fiat pulled the plug,
> but,  somehow managed to retain the Citroen designed transaxle that
> was fitted to the Fiat 128 and subsequent Beta cars, as well as a
> great deal of design and development work on the Beta Berlina was
> indeed Citroen.  We have the French to thank each time we shift a 164
> and it doesn't grind second gear syncro.

I didn't get into who sired the Beta. Just that there is a clear engineering
lineage from Beta through to Thema, Kappa, Dedra, et al.

That classic Lancia quality is still in a class all its own. I feel even our
esteemed Joel Hailey might back me up on that one.

Low blow Jay-you know I'm nuts for both of your Fulvias. I agree with you
completely. I also loved both of my Betas, though it was a challenge to erase the
years of neglect they had suffered, and they were certainly not as equipped from
the factory. And to all you Digesters who are completely bored by this whole
thing, I promise not to mention Lancias again, at least for a week or two
Joel