APE Praise, Milano and 164 questions (Semi-long)

Good evening,

Remembering the discussion a few weeks back concerning
vendors/catalogues/etc.. I though I should relate an extremely positive
experience I had with APE concerning an alternator to fellow
digesters.......
    I bought my Milano Gold used and about 1.5 months ago the alternator
went.  Not having the money to buy a new alternator, and rebuilt ones a
still expensive up here (London, Ont. Canada) I ordered a used one from
APE.  It arrived about 3 weeks later (standard for International Air to
Canada) and the garage installed it the next day (My brother was driving
my car and it was towed there. I would have don it myself honest......)
Anyhow, fast forward to beginning of Nov. and the alternator (new one)
goes again.... So I call up APE and explain the situation to them, and
they agree to send me another alternator free of charge. All that was
necessary was to provide some reassurance from the garage that indeed
the alternator was at fault and not some other electrical problem.  So I
eventually get the notice to pick up the alternator at the local post
office, and I pick it up without having to pay any shipping charges. APE
covered it.... I though that was a classy touch........Furthermore, on
the phone they were helpful, considerate and gave me numerous options to
consider. I would not hesitate to do business with them again (even
though shipping charges cost an arm and a leg)..... Just thought I'd let
you all know.......

Onto my Milano now. It has been difficult to shift, and there is a lot
of play in the gearshift (gear knob whatever..) when it is in gear. When
moving it from side-to-side there is a sound that is hard to
explain...its not a scraping sound, but I guess a rubber scraping
sound?...Anyhow, another car I test drove in Toronto had the same
problem but the used car dealer said it was typical and hat there was
nothing in wrong with it... I described the problem to Alfa Heaven and
they mentioned that I needed a new "monkey linkage". Can anyone expand
on that....

Finally, a 164s has popped up for sale in Toronto, and my Dad and I are
thinking of buying it. One thing we can't overlook though is how much
new shocks are for the 164s. IAP has them listed for ~$688U.S.  A full
set would run around ~4000-5000 Canadian. Is there any alternative to
the factory original shocks? Is disconnecting the whole electronic
apparatus an option?

Thanks in advance to all those who reply....

Philip Gicante
London, Ontario Canada