Trailing Throttle Braking

Hi gang:

I thought I'd add a bit to the current thread on trailing braking.  I
recently sat next to a racer on a plane flight.  He was returning home from
competing at Mosport in a highly prepared Dodge Neon.  The technique he
described was very interesting.  The Neon is front drive, and so after the
green flag drops, they hold the gas pedal to the floor and modulate the
car's brakes AND power with just the brake pedal.  Without lifting from the
gas at all, they slow the car into the turn by applying the brakes,
trailing the brake into, and all of the way through the turn!  They finally
lift from the brake as they exit, and the car, still at open throttle,
takes off like a shot.

I asked about how this technique affects the brakes.  He said they use the
largest rotors they can find, and that the pads last a single race.  The
rotors start glowing after the green drops, and don't stop until the
checker.

I haven't tried this technique on a real track yet, but did try it on the
Sega Super GT game at the local arcade.  It worked surprisingly well.

Rich
Manitou Springs, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco