Spider 1600 power loss

Hi!

I have a Spider 1600 1978 model which runs great expect for one
problem. When driving up a slow hill and the engine passes 4000-4500
rpms it starts "choking", ie. the engine dies for maybe the quarter of
a second and comes back again. This happens maybe every 2-3 seconds.
When the rpms drop below 4000 rpms the problem goes away.
Anybody got any theories about a simple fix before I take it to the
local Alfa wizard?

regards,
Nils C-:
nc@domain.elided