Re: GTV and Porsche windshields

From: Mike Grace <mgrace@domain.elided>

>Yesterday I had a guy R&R the windshield on my GTV (74) to install the
>aluminum trim. He could have sworn that the windshield was the same as from
>the 911,912 P-cars (pre-98). Can anybody confirm this?

I can't confirm this, but if true it would resolve something that's been
bugging me for over a year now. I had the windshield in my '74 GTV replaced
in summer '97. I bought the glass from Ricambi for $320 then brought it to
a local glass shop for installation. Rather than being appreciative that
I had saved him the task of searching for a rare piece of glass, he started
telling me how I had wasted my money because he could have gotten me a better
windshield for about half the price ($190) in only two days from his
distributor. To prove it, he showed me his parts book, had me verify the
glass then called the distributor. Sure enough, $190 and two day delivery.
Ever since I've been wondering how a local distributor could have a part in
stock for a car with maybe 10,000 on the road in the entire world.

>With prices for new getting into the thin atmosphere, this might be helpful
>the next time I catch a rock from a dump truck which are so numerous they're
>unavoidable around Santa Barbara these days.

Maybe it's not quite so stratospheric as we think.

- - Jack

| Jack Hagerty                |                                             |
| jack@domain.elided   |                                             |
| Robotic Midwives, Ltd.      |  You will be wise not to seek too much      |
| Livermore, CA		      |      from others. - Fortune cookie          |
| (925) 455-1143 (voice/fax)  |                                             |
|        ARA #97, NAR #55105, LUNAR #002 / TRA #3943, Aero-PAC #168         |