Re: alfa-digest V7 #276

alfa-digest wrote:

> Date: Sat, 21 Nov 1998 02:04:57 -0500
> From: Alfa Romeo Search and Rescue Society <alfabill@domain.elided>
> Subject: 164 not an  Alfa?
>
> 164s can't be Alfas...no leaky h2o pumps, no rust, few wiring problems,
> 2nd gear doesn't fail...no donuts...(so why do the cops love pullin' me
> over?) It must be a badge engineered Fy At. Sigh, Betrayed all this
> time...
> - --

Actually, If you ask me, it's a badge engineered Lancia. When I first began servicing
164s, after having been a long time Beta owner, I was surprised (and pleased) to find
that much of the engineering "philosophy" if you will, obviously came from the same
technological think tank that gave us the modern front wheel drive Lancias, the first
of which was the Beta. The cradle type subframe, the style of the motor mounts, the
internals of the transaxle, the suspension design, the brakes. It's just a great big
Beta with an Alfa V6 and a Pinin skin.

I loved my Milano Verde. Great handling, terrific sound effects, wonderful seats,
superb handling, rippingly fast. Then I bought a 164. It took a while, but I was
eventually seduced by the solidity and sense of competence, the quiet, the creature
comforts and ergonomics, and above all the vastly superior build quality. Then there
are the galvanized body panels, which means that with reasonable care, I could drive
the 164 daily without having it melt underneath me. I had to sell one of the cars,
and really couldn't decide. Once I knew I was moving to Colorado, the slight edge of
front wheel drive in the snow, and the increased comfort level of the 164 in covering
these long western distances won out. So, I sold the Verde to one of my friends who
moved out here from Virginia with me, so it's still in the family.

If I could but either car brand new again, I'd pick the Verde. If I had to pick a car
to keep for 250,000 miles, I'd pick the 164.

Joel Hailey
Centerline Products
Boulder CO
303-447-0239