carpool lanes

As I understand the law, it is two people in the freeway car pool lanes.
How many seats you have beyond one for each of the two, is immaterial.
The seat question as I experienced it came into being on some bridges,
where they post signs requiring three passengers. When people who have
two seaters, they are thereby suffering discrimination. In most cases
those signs were changed. Motorcyclists got a pass. I had read somewhere
that the GTV was "intended" to be a 2 seater, but due to some rule in
certain racing venues, they had to put a seat back there to qualify.
Also, I believe this is why the have the opening in the headliner. But I
would bet, unless someone can prove it is a two seater, with
documentation, they would be liable for a ticket. The Fiat spider has a
somewhat back seat, and I am not sure how that is determined.
Technically it has a back seat, and the state of California has proven
time and again that their ONLY interest is the bucks. But try and put
anyone larger than a six year old back there in the Fiat.

Sorry for the minimal Alfa content, but the law that suggests I have to
buy a sedan to qualify to drive certain lanes for which I also pay taxes
really gripes me.

Bill Bergman
'89 *ALFA spider (*Alfa content)