Alfa 156 rental

I just saw David B.'s inquiry about renting an Alfa in Switzerland. We
recently returned from a trip to Italy where we rented a 156. Try
Europecar, who I believe has offices all through Europe. You can reserve
through AAA, and get 5% off if you are a member. By the way, the 156 was a
base model 1.8 T-spark, 5 speed, and a lot of fun. A very nice car, which I
would definitely buy if sold here. The 1.8 is wonderfully flexible, pulling
strongly from low rpm's without fuss, the trans a delight with light,
precise shifting, and the brakes (with ABS which we activated a couple of
times diving into switchbacks on ss66 in the mountains between Florence and
Maranello) are magnificent. Very comfortable cruising at 160-170 kph for
long periods on the Autostrada. A very similar car in feel to my wife's
Infiniti G-20, only with more torque at low engine speeds and better
brakes. The only things I didn't like about the car were the noisy Goodyear
tires.

Robert Clauss
BeckyCo@domain.elided
Mt. Prospect, IL