Re: alfa-digest V7 #261

In a message dated 11/16/98 11:42:44 PM Eastern Standard Time, owner-alfa-
digest@domain.elided writes:

<< Date: Mon, 16 Nov 1998 17:09:48 -0800
 From: Simon Favre <simon@domain.elided>
 Subject: Re: 1600 rebuild ?

 It's basically more trouble than it's worth trying to remove steel studs
 from the Aluminum block of an Alfa in-line 4.  If the stud is that bad,
 find another block.

 The 101 block and 105 head can easily be mated.  My '62 Spider has a 101
 1600 Normale block with a Duetto head.  No problem.  The only thing to
 look out for is where the dipstick ends up.  The 101 1600 block has a
 hole on the side of the block for the dipstick.  The 105 1600 has one on
 the RHS of the timing cover.  Spica injected motors had to put one over
 on the LHS in the sump.  To confuse things further, the later "Euro"
 timing covers still had the dipstick on the RHS where it outta be.  Of
 course, if you have to, a dipstick hole can be drilled if you end up
 with a bunch of parts that don't leave you with a place for a dipstick.

 The 105 "hammerhead" sump will not fit in a 101 car.  The 101 sump will
 fit the 105 block, but you have to fit the correct oil pump for the
 sump.  You can also use an Alfetta sump, shaved to clear the 101 oil
 filter cannister, again provided the right oil pump is used.  Amazingly,
 the upper sump gasket and bolt pattern are the same for all the Alfa 4's
 from the early 1300s to the last of the 2L "Nord" engines.

 1600 cams are all mechanically interchangeable, but you want the best
 one for your motor.  105 1600 Veloce cams are good, as are the early
 1750 cams.  You can still buy new Shankle cams for a 1600.

 All the internal parts of the 101 and 105 1600 motors are the same, or
 they have been superceded by parts that are the same.  If possible, I
 would use a 1300 flywheel, or have the 1600 flywheel lightened.

 I'm not sure of the 105 style manifold with the screw-in thermostat will
 fit your car. I used the 101 style with the thermostat in the upper hose.
 The motor mounts are different. If you can, use the 101 veloce mounts.

 Good luck.