Buy your tires from Tire Rack

>>Eventually, though, I want to replace these now-defunct Eagles with
>>Pirelli P4000s. The tire shop has them for about $150 each. Per the
>>advice of the Digest, I told the manager that Tire Rack and Discount Tire
>>Direct sell P4000Es for $125 and $100. Could he match those prices? Nope.

I've run 4000's and while they wouldmn't be my first choice on an Alfa,
they're not bad. However .....

Just buy them from Tire Rack !!!

I went through this whole process last spring and couldn't even believe the
near fradulent pricing strategies, lack of inventory and terrible customer
service at most of my local tire retailers (big chains and independents).
My first frustration was selection. No-one had the tires I wanted, most
were selling garbage in the $150 plus range.  Seriously !! I received
quotes of over $150 for tires that Tire Rack or Discount were advertising
for around $75.

Second, when I challenged the pricing and said "Look, I'd prefer not to
mail order, but here's the ad listing this tire at half what you're asking.
Match it or I'm going to call them" I usually got the response "Oh, we can
match their price, plus what you'd pay for shipping, plus mounting and
balancing, and tax"  Not a bad deal for the informed person who asks, but
the average customer is being literally robbed.

On one visit, when I couldn't get the attention of a salesperson, I saw an
obviously financially challenged family in store asking for,and buying, the
"cheapest tire" that fit their very old Toyota.  The salesman was telling
them about an incredible sale on some no name $80 ea. tire.  I bought ZR
rated Dunlop D40's for less than that !!!  I was tempted to pull them aside
and clue them in, sort of regret that I never did.

The lack of selection, lack of inventory, high pricing, and generally poor
customer service left me with a negative taste.  I ordered from Tire Rack.
They were extremely helpful, the tires arrived on my doorstep in two days
(~ $40 shipping). I took my wheels and tires to my local service station
(above average quality) and in half an hour, walked out with mounted tires
for $50.  Great experience.  I'd recommend Tire Rack to everyone, and do.
They even received a J.D. Power award for best tire retailer last year I
believe.

No financial interest, blah blah blah.  Just a very happy customer who will
always order all my tires from Tire Rack.

Steve Hoffins

'95 VW Eurovan Camper
'91 Spider Veloce (still for sale one more week until spring)
'83 GTV6