Re: Any ideas welcome!

Depending on your budget, you might consider one of the Tamiya Radio
Controlled Alfa Romeo models available at your local hobby shop. You
can choose from a GTA, or a DTM 155 with a full set of racing decals,
etc. Depending on the control unit you buy to go with it, you could
easily spend $300. For fun, just buy the basic car, and let him go
wild on R/C gear, tires... Of course, you might never see him again.
;=)

At one point I saw an Italian Espresso machine that had the Alfa logo
on it. It wasn't made by Alfa, but it was made in Milan, where the crest
originated. Check Macys, Nieman-Marcus, the usual suspects.  This would
be my only low-budget suggestion.

You might also consider a collection of "must have" movies for car nuts.
This is a topic that can always generate suggestions. How about a DVD
player and copies of "The Italian Job", "Grand Prix", "Le Mans", and
perhaps "The Day of the Jackal" (The ORIGINAL, not the remake with Bruce
Willis). There's also a 9-minute tape titled "Rendevous" that sells for
$20 that may leave you in need of an Intensive Care Unit... =:0