24-valve timing belt change, "It's not bad!"

Hi guys,

It's Sunday, almost midnight, and I'm here to report that as a weekend
mechanic attempting a 3.0V6 24-valve timing belt change, it can be done with
no special tools, save the timing belt tensioner!  For the record, I have
spent a little over twelve hours total taking apart the components and putting
it back together.  I only used 5 sizes of metric tools (10mm, 11mm, 13mm, 17mm
and 19mm) plus the 5mm and 6mm allen wrences.  After years of working on the
12-valve V6, I have to say "Thank you, Alfa Romeo".  It really is a pleasure
to work on a well-put-together motor.  It comes apart and goes together *so nicely*!!!

Sure, it took me (a novice) 12 hours to do the job, but I was quoted 8 hours
by the local Alfa Romeo dealership.  At over US$75/hr, I have saved myself
quite a bit of money.

Furthermore, now that I know the correct procedures having discovered them the
first time this time, I'm confident I can do it again in close to the quoted 8 hours.

Goodnight, all.

Not your checkbook mechanic, :-)
Nizam

1994 164LS - back in action!
1988 75S - road warrior
1997 Audi A4 1.8T - roomate's, on loan

p/s you can buy the timing belt tensioning tool from your local Alfa Romeo
dealer, if they'll sell you one!  It only costs US$180 for the set.