Re: alfa-digest V7 #256

I wonder why it is that the parts vendors don't participate more on the
Digest. I know they're busy staying in business but its a good way to
build up a reputation and some good will. After reading Bruce from
Caribou's messages on the digest I feel much more comfortable about
ordering from him and I'm kind of sorry that I bought my top elsewhere.
One of the reasons I got interested in Alfa's was that the people I
dealt with were always willing to take the time to talk about Alfas and
willing to give advice.

I have lurked here for years, through my tenure at IAP, and now as a partner at
Centerline, posting occasionally, at times more active than others. One of the issues for
me has always been appropriate use of this forum. I wouldn't want anyone to think I was
using this for commercial self promotion (big banners about your business under every post
would fall into this category for me). So, because of that situation, I tend to
participate less than I otherwise would, and to stay uninvolved with potentially
politically charged issues such as the relative health and viability of AR Ricambi as a
supplier of Alfa Romeo parts.  Then there is the wealth of things that don't interest me,
such as Lotus Elites, the weights of Alfa engines, the endless pontification on whether
Alfa will ever come back to this country (they won't), and how much it would cost to
certify a new GTV or Spider (too much). When you do this work day in/day out, much of what
is here is alot of "been there, done that". And, there are some really talented,
knowledgeable contributors here, such that I don't need to respond to inquiries about how
to time camshafts-someone else will capably handle that query. When I read where someone
has a really tough problem, to which no one else has a response, if I have something
useful to contribute then I do so. So, there's a response from one parts vendor, whether
you really wanted it or not.

BTW, Caribou's proprietor is Ed, whom you may be confusing with Bruce from Bruce's Parts
Bin.

Joel Hailey
Centerline Products