CA smog etc.

>You probably will not have to sell your Spider.  I seem to recall (I own a
>1984 Spider Veloce) that most were 50 state cars.  Remember that California
>kinda led the way in emission regulations.  As a California native (not
living
>there since 1993) I know the system fairly well...meaning that it seems
that
>things get blown out of perspective by some.  True that it will cost you
$300
>just for the honor of bringing in a car from out-of-state, plus various
>license fees based on the value of your car, tags, and finally an emission
>test which usually runs in the $20 range.  If your car is over 7 years old
(I
>think), part of the emission test includes a dyno run.

OK, I made a mistake of commenting about even stock non-CA cars in my first
post on the subject just to make a point.  In fact, my car is anything but
stock (I suppose this is just more fuel for the 'non-bastardizing' crowd:)
It's a 78 with a 74 exhaust, 10.4:1 compression, mild cams, and (big gasp)
webers.

I've heard from different digesters with first hand experience who have all
said the same thing to a point.  Yes, you have to pay a $300 non CA car fee
on top of your regular fees but they disagree about whether or not the car
will then have to be tested.  One says it will be tested as an out of state
vehicle and will have to meet that year's spec, the other says he never had
the car tested.

Now I'm not looking for a loophole to bring a non-complying car in as a
resident (I'm sure any that existed are well and truly closed), but I'm
wondering if there is a way for a person to move into the state with an
existing, non-complying car.  My previous understanding was that it could be
done, but that the car couldn't then be sold in CA (in an effort to keep the
loopholes mentioned before closed but not make it harder for people to move
to the People's Repulik of Kalifornia)

Thoughts?  Suggestions?  Anybody want to trade a very modified (pre 74)
coupe for a very modified street Spider and track GTV6 plus spares???

"what have I gotten myself into?"

Don Happel    zelatore@domain.elided
Shemp-MoDin Italian Motorsports
"It's good to go very fast" - Peter Egan

95 Magna - for commuting in traffic
83 GTV6 - for the track
78 Spider - for the street
77 Dodge van - mobile shop