Re: alfa-digest V7 #250...CA Smog and Selling Your Spider

You probably will not have to sell your Spider.  I seem to recall (I own a
1984 Spider Veloce) that most were 50 state cars.  Remember that California
kinda led the way in emission regulations.  As a California native (not living
there since 1993) I know the system fairly well...meaning that it seems that
things get blown out of perspective by some.  True that it will cost you $300
just for the honor of bringing in a car from out-of-state, plus various
license fees based on the value of your car, tags, and finally an emission
test which usually runs in the $20 range.  If your car is over 7 years old (I
think), part of the emission test includes a dyno run.

I have taken my Alfa from Washington, DC and back out to the west to Oregon.
Both of these states have similar emission enforcement programs to California
with the exception of the dyno test which is now used in both CA and OR.
Incedentially, my near 15-year-old Spider passed the emission dyno with flying
colors.

Stop worrying and just do some homework.

Chris Finks
AROC/AROO
Portland, OR
1984 Spider Veloce