An impoted Spider

Just a brief note, considering the back and forth on bringing in a new
Alfa. I was at Gino (the tailor) in Santa Clara CA today, and he
introduced me to an elderly gentleman of Italian heritage, as an Alfa
owner. The usual comments took place, what kind, year and so on. He also
has an '86 spider. But the surprise came when he told me he had imported
a brand new spider to the states. In amazement, I followed him out to
his beautiful white Lincoln where he showed me a snapshot of a red '96
Alfa spider, with him standing in front. I couldn't believe it.

However, the story goes, that he had it shipped here to Oakland, but
that they wouldn't even let him take it out of the crate. They gave him
five days to get it California legal, or ship it back, or it would be
destroyed. He claims to have checked on making it legal, and was told
the cost would be $15K. Needless to say, it went back. He said he
finally sold it over there.

Guess this is a good lesson in research before acting. Too bad he didn't
know about the Alfa Digest!
Just felt like relating this, it was so unusual, to me anyway.

Bill Bergman
'89 Spider
A.R.O.C San Diego
A.R.A. Bay Area