RE: Cal. Smog

Having more than 1 older car in California has become nerve racking at smog
check time. None of them are old enough to be exempt and none of them are
new enough to zip through without a thought. I think its great to have clean
air. But if there was no other concern except to have clean air, why is
there a visual inspection? A couple of years ago I passed the emissions part
of the test but failed due to a non stock air filter. This makes no sense.
My car could be cleaning the air as I drive but I could fail the test due to
something that did not right under the hood. In my opinion there should only
be a visual inspection if you fail the emissions part of the test, and this
should be so you can receive helpful advice to bring your car up to spec. If
they did it this way then I would truly believe that the only concern was
clean air
Don't even get me started about DMV fees and Insurance rates.

wc