Re: 164 Alarm

I have the IR (infrared) alarm on my 95 Q and here are a couple of things that
I have found.

The remote that came with the car (I bought it used in 97) had a SINGLE bulb
to create the signal.  The remote worked originally from anywhere near the
driver or passenger front doors all the time, and sometimes through the rear
window.  Then it quit working one day while I was at lunch.  Had to use the
key and then turn off the alarm.  A quick look at the interior of the remote
showed that one terminal of the bulb had a cold solder joint.  (Soldered
mechanically, but not melted to the bulb terminal)  A touch of the soldering
iron at home cured this problem and it went back to how it had been.

Then a few months later, I bought a remote from Knauz in Chicago, as I wanted
a second remote.  The new remote has TWO bulbs.  It will open the car from
15-20 feet away if I point it right and always opens through the back window.

If you need more distance, you might try a new remote.  Or in mine, the
original remote has space for two bulbs, so maybe you could get another bulb
and solder it in.

Another thing I tried, just as a lark, was to see if my Universal Remote for
my stereo stuff would record the signal.  Didn't work as far as I could tell,
as the stereo remote gave an error reading.  You might see if other learning
remotes work. Might be too big to carry around, but could be good for storing
the code.

John Justus
1995 164Q
1971 1750 GTV