RE: 155 engine into Spider?

> Some of you may be irritated that I am bringing up engine conversions
> again. Well I am sorry, but the condition of my engine is such that a
> new engine would probably end up costing only slightly more than a total
> rebuild of mine (this includes several 'modifications' I was planning on
> making during the rebuild). So I look for other options and try to
> gather information about them.
>
> I noticed that the 155 2.0L engine is just slightly heavier than the
> 2.0L in my 1983 Spider. It is roughly the same size and delivers quite a
> bit more performance stock than mine does (or will). I am curious if
> anyone has heard of a 155 4-cyl into a Spider conversion. Does anyone
> know of a good source of information (and/or pics) on the 155 engines?
> 155s were never released in the US, were they? If this is the case, I am
> predicting that getting one to this side of the ocean would be
> difficult/expensive. Still, it is worth finding more information about.
> As always, feel free to poke holes in this post if necessary. I am no
> whiz with a wrench, but I do a lot of dreaming.

you want an early twin spark (which was essentially an alfa motor), not the
later one (which uses a fiat-based block).  the crank will have to be
drilled to allow mating with your transmission, or replaced (your existing
crank should bolt right in).  you'll need to fabricate headers, because the
exhaust flanges are all different.  you'll need to modify your hood, because
the engine is taller, and won't fit.  you'll need to rig up some
electronics, fuel delivery, ...

basically, about the same level of complexity as putting a twin spark head
on the block you've got (as you were investigating a while back).  the
challenge of how to mate the twin spark head to your existing block is
replaced by the challenge of how to mate the twin spark crank to your
existing transmission.  both of which have been solved.  the rest of the
problem is the same.

ka-ching$$$$$

btw, there were a few twin spark motors here in the us advertised on the
digest a few months back - you might pursue one of them, asking price was
only 2-3k each..

bs