Lotus Elise

Could someone in CA please explain how a new Lotus Elise which has the same
Rover 1.8 K-series engine with V.V.C. that's in the MGF, as well as a modern
catalyser can fail your emissions test? That is one of the finest engines
around.
 I would guess that there are some big old American gas guzzlers driving
about with huge ccs that produce far more emissions ;-). I'm genuinely
puzzled.
 Simon Mason---Kingston upon Hull, England.
    Alfa 156 on order due Mar '99.