Local chapters.

Hi all,

I am pretty much a lurker, given that I am a checkbook mechanic and all.
No facilities to work on the Alfa, nor the knowledge that some guys are
lucky enough to have.

However, I was saddened to see such a "vent" on the other folks who have
a differnt view of Alfa ownership. I don't consider myself one of that
group particularly, but I love being "on the road in my alfa" enjoying
the handling, the countryside and on and on. But, I would like to add
that I have a strong belief that clubs are NOT there to provide you the
things you want.  They are there because a group of people got together
and collectively decided what they want the club to be. When you want
the club to be something else, get out there and run for an office. Why
should the people who are doing the work, entertain you?

When I joined the local club here in the Bay area, I started working for
them right away. I believe if you join a volunteer organization, you
should VOLUNTEER. This way you can help direct the club. Find out who
else shares your interests.
Then start working toward that end. If no one else shares your feelings,
thats just the way it goes. You can't expect to accept dinner
invitations from friends, and never reciprocate. Eventually, unless they
are totally stupid, they will stop inviting you. Out of our vast number
of members, not many step forward. They all want the VOLUNTEERS who've
paid their dues also, and do not receive a paycheck, to get that
newsletter OUT ON TIME, fill it full of interesting articles, all
because they, as a paying member, expect this. One day, there will be no
more VOLUNTEERS. They will be tired of doing it ALL. So that club
members can sit back and pick and choose, and complain that they will
quit the club, because no one is putting on a big fabulous activity that
they want. Heck, when we send out questionaires about what would you
like the club to do, only a few respond. This really very sad. What is
it they say, about takers and givers?

Performance is tough to accomplish in California. That kinda fun is
almost against the law, to be competitive. Unless you have one old Alfa
that you can build strictly for racing. I did have an older Alfa, but
between two of them, I was going to the poor farm.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I also love Alfas. I just don't really
want to spend every weekend underneath mine.

Think about getting out from under the Alfa and helping your club
continue to be a club. Not gripe about it.

Bill Bergman
'89 spider.
AROC
ARA