Hard Starting 88 Spider

Need some advice.  Purchased an 88 spider recently, a week later I
bought an 84 Spider.  Both of these engines have what appears to be
identical Bosch fuel injection systems.  The 88 is a bear to get
started.  Sometimes after cranking it anywhere from three to eight or
nine times, it will start.   Most time it will not.  But when I place a
small booster (55 A) on it, it fires right up.  This done without
touching the gas pedal.  Found that if I just touched the gas pedal, it
will not start until you let it set for a while.

Now the 84 fires right up, first time, everytime.  Today I put a new
battery in the 88.  It fired up on the second attempt.  Drove it about 6
- - 8 miles.  Parked it outside until after sundown.  Wife and I went out
to visit friends this evening.  Took about four or five attempts, she
fired.  About midnight, car sat outside, we left and it would not
start.  Jumped it from my friend's truck, fired right up.

What's the sequence of check out to identify the culprit?  Can I use
components from the 84 to confirm a possible bad component in the 88?
What are the areas that may need some adjustment?  What is the best
manual available on these FI's?

Sure would like to make the 88 my daily driver but I need it to
reliable.  I would use the 84 daily but it needs some steerage and brake
attention before it can be considered for the daily duties.

TIA,
Paul Weimer
Ohio
'69 Spider Veloce