Re: Copper tubing

Anthony Licalzi wrote:

> If your using copper tubing in place of plastic for oil
> pressure gauge (which is a very good idea) wind your tubing
> around a steel rod such as a breakerbar or jack handle. The
> idea is to create a coil (the longer the better in this case
> anyway). The coil will absorb engine vibration and keep the
> tube quiet and keep it from cracking. =

I'm not sure using copper tubing is a good idea. I once used
1/8in copper tubing for a mech. pressure gauge and after some
time (a year or two I think), the tubing cracked and spewed
out quite a bit of oil before I caught the problem.

If you do use copper IMHO it is ESSENTIAL that extra tubing be
used in the form of a coil to prevent fatigue cracking. The
engine rocks pretty well when running and this motion must
be compensated for. I've used 1/8in teflon tubing for five
years now without problem -- of course you have to be careful
not to snag it when working around it.

BTW the issue of copper's suitability for brake and fuel
line was discussed on the digest earlier this year.

In Feb '98 Fred Di Matteo wrote:
> NO, never aluminum nor copper fuel tubing, never. Both suffer
> from work hardening due to vibration, and Alum, in addition is
> easily corroded by alcohols used in todays "clean air" fuels.
> While copper may be good for your arthritis, its NG for use in
> automotive fuel or brake lines, and prohibitied by all race
> sanctioning bodies.

Just my opinion.

Rich