on a related note

Just to share my experience...

When turning the engine over by hand on a Berlina I once owned I found
it a simple task to grip the fan blade with both hands while exerting a
small amount of pressure on the drive belt with an extended finger and
thus rotate the engine (with the plugs removed of course)  A word of
caution though,  if the fan is older and you hear any sort of "pop"
while attempting this remove the fan and replace it.  The plastic tends
to get brittle with heat and age.  Some months later the small fracture
that developed in the fan blade caused the blade to seperate from the
hub and modified the hood nicely.

Ian