Re: Turning a 4cyl engine

At 03:18 PM 11/4/98 -0500, Octavian Popa wrote:

>From: "Octavian I Popa" <oipopa@domain.elided>
>Subject: Turning a Spider Engine
>
>I'm at a loss for figuring out what should be quite simple.  How does one
>go about turning a Spider engine by hand?   Do I put it in 4th and roll it?
>My first thought was to put
>a 38 mm socket on the crankshaft nut, but there's no room in there.  Or is
>there?

Octavian:

Yes, I believe you can mount a big socket onto a breaker bar, and
rotate the engine using the front crankshaft nut.  At least if your
car doesn't have A/C, a smog pump, power steering, etc.  On the
older models, there is enough clearance.  You may want to pull
the radiator (and hood) anyhow, if you're going to be doing a lot
of work on the head.  The locktab on the crankshaft nut MAY impede
grabbing it with a socket, but you don't need to impart a lot of
torque, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Putting the car in 4th, and rocking it can be fairly precise, but
will take more trial-n-error than the "socket on the crankshaft
nut" approach.

Jay Macrko