Alfetta vs 90

Hi all,

Matt Killock wrote:

> The Alfa 6, Alfa 90 and Giulietta were all developed from the Alfetta.
> The Alfa 75/Milano was developed from the Giulietta.  When I parked my
> Giulietta alongside a 75, it was obvious that the doors were identical.
> Implicit from this is that the shell and substructure are also the same,
> they being jointly the most expensive and problematic structure to
> develop.
> The doors are different from the Alfetta.

When I first bought my 90, I bought a shop manual (Mercian) that covered
the Alfetta, Alfetta GTV, Giulietta (116), and 90. In the front it had
usual Group 00 "Complete Car" stuff, including line drawings of front
and side elevations for the four cars. The side profile of the Alfetta
and the 90 is amazingly similar. Later, when I bought the Alfetta and
parked it in the next bay to the 90, it started to get scary. The lines
on the 90 were been penned by Bertone, but there's an awful lot of the
Alfetta subtly masked. The front doors and front fenders would just
about be a bolt-on replacement, except for the crease at the belt-line
on the 90. The rear doors are a different story, with the 90 having a
sharp angle at the top of the rear quarter-light, where the Alfetta is
more rounded.

And just once, when I looked at the Alfetta with its bonnet down (not a
very common sight), I caught a glimpse of the front end of a 105 coupe.
Maybe I'm just getting paranoid because I'm starting to look for family
resemblances in my 6mo daughter, but you never know ...

Tony
1979 Alfetta 2000
1985 Alfa 90 2.5i
The Alfa 90 page http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Downs/7709
- --
Tony Lupton                            *           CiTR Pty Ltd
Email: t.lupton@domain.elided         *    *         339 Coronation Drive
Phone: +61 7 3259 2382                  *          PO Box 1643
Fax:   +61 7 3259 2259                             Milton Qld 4064
                                      *            Australia