Alfa 6 Turbodiesel with automatic

In AD7-224 Jim Hearnden writes that Aidrian at Alfa Aid in Windsor UK, has an
Alfa 6 which is a 2.4 Turbo diesel with automatic transmission. Says he has
heard that there are only about 6 Alfa 6s in the UK. I imagine that adding the
diesel and the automatic would make it probably unique.

There seem to have been two four cylinder turbodiesels used in the main pre-
Fiat cars: Alfetta, Giulietta, 90 and 75, of which 281,000 were sold:
2.0, 88 mm x 92 mm, 1995 cc; 82 hp
2.4, 90 mm x 92 mm, 2393 cc  95 hp

In addition, the 33 had a three cylinder (how appropriate!) of which 21,278
were built:
1.8, 92 mm x 89.2 mm, 1779 cc, 74 hp.

There were also two other turbodiesels in the Fiat-era 145,146, 155, and 164,
probably shared with other Fiats, for which I didn't run the numbers:
2.0, 82.6 mm x 90 mm, 1929 cc, 90 hp
2.5, 92 mm x 94 mm, 2499 cc, 114 hp and later 125 hp

The Alfa 6 did not share an engine with any of the others, but had a brand new
five cylinder 2.5 liter VM unit, fitted to just 2,977 cars, about one out of
five Alfa 6s built:
2.5, 88 mm x 82 mm, 2494 cc, 105 hp.

All the Alfa automatics I know of were ZF three-speeds. D'Amico-Tabucchi says
of the turbodiesel that "the fairly high power output provided the car with
suitable performance for its category". 105 horsepower through a three-speed
automatic in a 3,500 pound car - - "suitable performance - - " but probably
not quite sparkling.

John H.

End of alfa-digest V7 #226