Re: AlfaSud

In a message dated 11/3/98, 8:09:33 PM, alfa@domain.elided writes:
<<John Hertzman described business arrangments that gave the Alfasud and its
descendents a separate corporate identity from the rear-wheel drive Alfa
Romeos manufactured in Milan.  I wasn't aware of any of those details,  but
I do remember that when the Alfasud appeared there was talk about the fact
that it was called an Alfasud, not an Alfa Romeo, and that neither the
words Alfa Romeo or the badge appeared anywhere on the car.   In the same
year the Alfasud appeared, the word "Milano" was dropped from the Alfa
Romeo badge.  Rightly or wrongly, some  speculated at the time that the
change in the badge and the lack of identifying marks on the 'sud were
efforts to distance the Milanese parent company from the new car.  >>

The Alfasud (Alfa South) was the first model built at a new assembly plant at
Naples, actually more "centro" than "sud" geographically.  In northern Italy,
southerners are seen as being bumpkins and not very sophisticated, unlike
like those Milanese, and incapable of quality work.  Not unlike some in the
US.  Southern Italian speech is significantly different (mostly stems and
infinitives) than the Tuscan Italian spoken in the north.  The "Milano" was
removed, as I remember, in order to solidify the marque as being one company,
not two. They did not want to offend the southern workforce. Why an Alfa
badge, even without the Milano, was not used on the Sud I don't know.
It may have been to allow the Sud to develop it's own corporate personality.

Jerry in Houston
'75 AR Spider
'79 Alfetta

End of alfa-digest V7 #224